Sunday, April 19, 2009

Working from rest instead of resting from work

Today we picked back up on our series on Ephesians entitled, "Won't You Be My Neighbor."
For what it's worth, I really love preaching through a book of the Bible. The challenge of taking what the text says and building a real, practical bridge to every day life invigorates me. Paul wrote the letter to a situation not that different than our own: Religious, but not necessarily Christian; Awash in competing realities and visions for what it means to be human.

In summing up the first three chapters of Ephesians, I tapped into Watchman Nee's classic commentary on the book, Sit, Walk, Stand.

I'm subtly introducting a workable language for discipleship (our basic work as a followers of Jesus) and today introduced the semi-circle, which is all about the rhythm between rest and work.

Found this great quote on Tim Keel's blog that fits right in for today's message:

My church life and my community life and my work life were so full and rich and productive that I nearly died from it. And by my own hand. Other than the fact that I was tired and worn and sick at heart and depleted and lost and afraid, everything was just fine. And, of course, I had no one to blame but myself - even though I tried to pin the blame on some other folks.
--Robert Benson,
A Good Life

No comments: