Thursday, January 08, 2009

Top Reads of 2008

Leaders read.
Innovators read.
John Wesley said you can't grow if you don't read (and when John Wesley speaks, boy do I listen).
Plus, I recieved an education that cost taxpayers a lot of money and for which I personally paid dearly. If I don't read, I waste this investment and may as well be illiterate.

Because I want to be these things (and because I love it), I read.

Here are my top reads for 2008 (in no particular order)::
The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective by Richard Rohr
Good to Great by Jim Collins
A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in an Age of Anxiety by Edwin Friedman
The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs
Simply Christian by NT Wright
Surprised by Hope by NT Wright
Just Courage by Gary Haugen
Axiom by Bill Hybels
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis
Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom

Here are some books I'm looking forward to in 2009:
Believing in the Future by David Bosch
The Multiplying Church: The New Math for Starting Churches by Bob Roberts
The Dangerous Act of Worship by Mark Labberton
Lord Jesus Christ by Larry Hurtado

3 comments:

Juliana said...

I had never heard that statement by John Wesley, but I agree with it. That book I showed you called "A Thomas Jefferson Education" is all about reading classic works. Classic doesn't have to mean old. It just means works of literature that make the reader think about the human condition, good and evil, right and wrong and problems in the world that need fixing. The author of "A Thomas Jefferson Education" also asserts this is how the great thinkers in our nation's past were educated, but we have moved far away from that. Consequently, we have a nation of "knowers" - not so many thinkers. If a student reads the works of great thinkers of the past and present, he learns to be a great thinker himself.

Doug Paul said...

I'm disappointed "The Shaping of Things to Come" didn't make it!!

Brian Miller said...

Have you read any Lesslie Newbigin?