Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Child is Brilliant (no, really)

I know, I know, that's what every parent thinks about their children, but in my case it's actually true! :-)

To wit:
For the last several hundred years many churches have used a method known as Catechism to educate people about what it meant to be a Christian. (Many mainline denominations still use it) It taught the faith in a question and answer format like this:
Q. Are there more Gods than one?
A. There is but one only, the living and true God.
And so on through everything thought to be important to faith.

One of the more famous catechism's in the Western world is known as the Westminster Catechism--hold on, because the actual brilliance of my son over the common dullard child is about to break forth like so many dawns!--whose first question is this:
Q. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.

It's a beautiful response to the "why I am here?" question that wraps the answer in joy, delight, goodness and desire. It reminds us that God creates us for enjoyment, so there must be deep gladness over our appearance in the world on God's part. (If you need any convincing, consider that we were each created as the result of an orgasm. What does that say about how joy-filled God is over our existence?)

So we're laying in bed last night doing our nightly routine.
A song.
I pray, he prays.
Three kisses in the name of the Trinity in whose image you were created for love, joy and relationships.

And then I ask him, not expecting to receive his brilliant insight into the Westminster Catechism:
"Hudson, who made you?"
Hudson: "Jesus!"
Me: "And why did Jesus make you?"
Hudson: *pause*"Uhhhhh, because he was happy!"

I smiled with a deep joy.
And no, I don't think I suffer from any unusual parental delusions of grandeur.

Other Hudson gems as of late.
"Daddy, these socks don't work!"

"I have so much pain...from these crackers."

"You go outside and you clap your hands and that's how you make a potato!"
(I did not know it was that easy)

And as if to underscore his brilliance and insight into the state of things, we're driving past our bank where he scores a lollipop from the teller on each visit when he pipes up:
"Daddy, that's a bank. It's where all the suckers live."

No comments: