Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Are You Proud?

It is extremely scary to surrender. When we think of surrendering we often think of losing, or failing, or giving up or missing out on something. However, when you surrender your life to Jesus and you allow him to be first in your life, you actually gain something!

I think one thing that keeps us from surrendering to Jesus is our pride. We tell ourselves, "I can take care of that," or "God can help me in all of these areas but I think I know how to deal with these issues better than he does," or "I know God forgives me, but I can't forgive myself." In all of these areas we are struggling with issues of Pride.

The scriptures say this in 1 Peter 5:5-6

“God opposes the proud, but favors the humble." So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.


As you are thinking about your life in this season of Lent, I would encourage you to ask yourself, "Do I have the characteristic of humility or do I struggle with pride?" Here are 8 questions to ask yourself when it comes to being prideful:


1. Are you teachable?


2. How do you respond to correction and rebuke?


3. Are you considerate of other people?


4. Do you admit when you are wrong or make mistakes?


5. Do you serve and receive service well?


6. Are you consistently aware of God's grace in your life and the people around you?


7. Do you disagree in an agreeable way?


8. How much attention and affirmation do you require?



May we all understand that we are people of pride and that we must pursue humility by the grace of God.

-Kyle

No comments: