Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Tiger’s story is not that different than mine"


I have been a huge fan of Tiger Woods for a long time. I enjoy watching his desire to be the best in the world at what he does. However, after the news came out about his personal life, I sat in disbelief reading about all the mistakes he had made and the double life he had been living. Unlike many people who only wanted to condemn Tiger, I felt sorry for him. I felt sorry for him that he seemed so unhappy having EVERYTHING you could want in life: success, popularity, a beautiful wife and children, being the best golfer to ever play the game. In all of that he was still left feeling unsatisfied and therefore turned to sex.
Someone referred to me an article written by Michael Hyatt, the CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers. Here is just a small part of it, but I would encourage you to read the rest of it here and then ask yourself the question Michael presents.
During this season of Lent, my church prays an ancient and beautiful prayer by St. Ephraim the Syrian (ca. 306–373). It says,
O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, faintheartedness, lust of power, and idle talk. “But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience and love to your servant.
“Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own sin and not to judge my brother, for You are blessed from all ages to all ages. Amen.”
I have been especially struck by the last sentence. Consequently, I am trying to avoid the sin of unforgiveness, especially during this season. Jesus stated plainly: “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses” (Matthew 6:14, 15).
During the season of Lent, may you become a person of forgiveness and someone who sees there own sin and the need of a Savior.

No comments: